
All good things come to those who wait! Friday David picked up the modem and Saturday when we plugged everything in it didn't work! We were disappointed but were expecting it. Of course this is Greece and our Internet service provider OTE is run by the Greek government so we couldn't do anything about it until today. So after my run this morning I called the help line and once I told her I only spoke a little Greek she went right into English and told me how to fix the problem. She was extremely helpful and very nice. Luckily we are in a new house with a new phone line. Most people have has someone from OTE come out and look at it. So 2 months of waiting turned into about 3 weeks. Not too bad. So this also means that our Vonage line is up and running so please give us a call if you would like. Our number is (703) 286-7813. Remember we are 7 hours ahead of the EDT and 8 hours ahead of CDT.
So I am sure you guys are all dying for a recap of our weekend :)....
On Friday we ate dinner at home and then went over to our friends Dan and Stacy's and had a few drinks and talked. Since we only got here a week apart they are going through everything that we are going through only they have a 19 month old. It could be worse for us.
We stayed up pretty late on Friday night so on Saturday we slept in and stayed around the house until the Halloween party. No I did not dress up in a costume. People did ask me why we didn't and I answered with I just arrived 2 weeks ago and didn't know anything about a Halloween party instead of what I really wanted to say which was I hate Halloween. It was about 50/50 half with costumes half without. It was held at a huge house with an amazing yard. They had food, drinks, games and trick er treating for the kids. They also had an amazing haunted house. We were told that one guy brought over 200 pounds of Halloween stuff in is HHE (surface) shipment just for the party. It was a lot of fun and we got to meet some new people too. Since the Greeks don't celebrate Halloween I am sure they were asking themselves what all these crazy Americans were doing dressing up in costumes. It felt like you were in the US which was very nice but we were brought back to earth when we walked and a 3 security personnel with very large weapons where guarding the entrance.
After the party we went to our sponsors house and David watched the Texas game on the Slingbox and I fell asleep about 15 minutes into the game. The game didn't come on until 10:30 pm our time and didn't get over until about 2:30 am so David was dragging a little on Sunday.
So on Sunday we got up late and went to the Acropolis and did some tourist stuff. Since nothing else is open on Sunday. I have a link to some pictures we took from the Acropolis below. It was an overcast day so the views are not as good as if it were sunny. It is also free on Sunday so there were a ton of people running around. After the Acropolis we walked down to Plaka which is the neighborhood at the foot of the Acropolis and it has lots of shopping and restaurants. It is very much a tourist destination. We ended up finding a Turkish/Greek rug for the house. It is silk on cotton (David and I were too cheap to spring for silk on silk) It is beautiful and we got a pretty good price. So when you all come visit we have a place to buy rugs which we can ship back home for you for next to nothing from the APO.
Sunday night we went to a new church, St. John's. It is a very small church about 15 minutes from our house. They have an English Mass at 5:00 on Sundays and it is mainly filled with Embassy people. The church is beautiful with very pretty stained glass windows and stone work. It is very different from going to St. Mary's as there is no choir or even a cantor. They have a nun who sings and plays a guitar for the hymns. Our priest is the Bishop from the Vatican Embassy and he is Irish so his English is easy to understand and his homely was very nice and thought provoking.
Well not much else going on today. The Internet was my big accomplishment today and I made it on a run so all and all it is shaping up to be a pretty good day.
Love from Athens....
So I am sure you guys are all dying for a recap of our weekend :)....
On Friday we ate dinner at home and then went over to our friends Dan and Stacy's and had a few drinks and talked. Since we only got here a week apart they are going through everything that we are going through only they have a 19 month old. It could be worse for us.
We stayed up pretty late on Friday night so on Saturday we slept in and stayed around the house until the Halloween party. No I did not dress up in a costume. People did ask me why we didn't and I answered with I just arrived 2 weeks ago and didn't know anything about a Halloween party instead of what I really wanted to say which was I hate Halloween. It was about 50/50 half with costumes half without. It was held at a huge house with an amazing yard. They had food, drinks, games and trick er treating for the kids. They also had an amazing haunted house. We were told that one guy brought over 200 pounds of Halloween stuff in is HHE (surface) shipment just for the party. It was a lot of fun and we got to meet some new people too. Since the Greeks don't celebrate Halloween I am sure they were asking themselves what all these crazy Americans were doing dressing up in costumes. It felt like you were in the US which was very nice but we were brought back to earth when we walked and a 3 security personnel with very large weapons where guarding the entrance.
After the party we went to our sponsors house and David watched the Texas game on the Slingbox and I fell asleep about 15 minutes into the game. The game didn't come on until 10:30 pm our time and didn't get over until about 2:30 am so David was dragging a little on Sunday.
So on Sunday we got up late and went to the Acropolis and did some tourist stuff. Since nothing else is open on Sunday. I have a link to some pictures we took from the Acropolis below. It was an overcast day so the views are not as good as if it were sunny. It is also free on Sunday so there were a ton of people running around. After the Acropolis we walked down to Plaka which is the neighborhood at the foot of the Acropolis and it has lots of shopping and restaurants. It is very much a tourist destination. We ended up finding a Turkish/Greek rug for the house. It is silk on cotton (David and I were too cheap to spring for silk on silk) It is beautiful and we got a pretty good price. So when you all come visit we have a place to buy rugs which we can ship back home for you for next to nothing from the APO.
Sunday night we went to a new church, St. John's. It is a very small church about 15 minutes from our house. They have an English Mass at 5:00 on Sundays and it is mainly filled with Embassy people. The church is beautiful with very pretty stained glass windows and stone work. It is very different from going to St. Mary's as there is no choir or even a cantor. They have a nun who sings and plays a guitar for the hymns. Our priest is the Bishop from the Vatican Embassy and he is Irish so his English is easy to understand and his homely was very nice and thought provoking.
Well not much else going on today. The Internet was my big accomplishment today and I made it on a run so all and all it is shaping up to be a pretty good day.
Love from Athens....
No comments:
Post a Comment